Tuesday, August 19, 2014

We are finally almost done traveling for the summer ... that's good since the last two kids start school on Monday. So, maybe I can update on what's been happening with us over the summer. I packed my laptop with me on most of our travels so that I could update, but didn't hardly ever bring it out, which is a good thing since I enjoyed my time with my family.

So, we did end up having C's rescheduled middle school transition meeting after the disaster that was the first attempt. Surprise of all surprises, what they thought that we could get through in 20 minutes took us an hour and a half. We came out with a pretty good idea of what his middle school schedule would look like and I felt okay about it after I left. Not great, but not sick to my stomach like I had felt for the last week after the first attempt. I did pretty much let them know that they had about a month when school started to convince me that it would be a good fit for him or we would be making other arrangements. The meeting ended with them inviting us to come and have lunch and sit through a couple of classes in a few days.

We went on a Thursday and had lunch and explored a bit and then sat through an adaptive science class in the resource room. Just a couple of observations. They were trying to tell us that he would be sitting with the other resource kids at lunch. He doesn't have quite the social issues that some of the other resource kids have, so I had to let them know that he would be allowed to sit with his friends from outside the resource room at lunch and be able to hang out with them afterwards. From talking to them I'm not sure how their communication skills are. I think that they are used to parents that aren't quite as involved as we are and that don't expect accountability from them.

School got out for the girl the next week and then the kid finished on the 11th of June and then we spent the next week preparing to be gone for the rest of the summer.

No comments: