Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Backpacking

Ryan and Chris spent three days backpacking through the Sawtooths near Stanley last week with Ryan's scout troop. Only two of the boys ended up being able to go, so Kody, one of Ryan's leaders sons came along. That gave them three boys and three adults. Pretty good numbers I guess.

Chris and I followed Ryan and the rest of his group up to the Grand Jean trail head to drop off a vehicle and then I took everyone and their gear to the Iron Creek trail head where they were heading off on their trip. It was a nice 7.5 hours in the car for me that day.

They hiked for about a total of 17 miles during the three days. They camped at different lakes along the way. They did some fishing and had a pretty good time I think. One morning when they woke up there was frost on their packs. Good thing they took thermal underwear cause neither Chris nor Ryan took jackets. Their sleeping bags are pretty warm though, so that was good.

We've been slowly buying up some backpacking equipment, I think next summer we are going to attempt to go as a family. Definitely not 17 miles, but if I keep losing weight the way I have been the last three months I should be able to go without too much trouble.

They only came home with a few blisters and banged up toes between them. I did have to go and buy Ryan another new pair of shoes though because his feet have been growing like crazy and the ones he wore on the trip were pretty nasty when he got home.

Here are a pictures that Chris took along the way.

IMG_0684

Brian, Gordon, Ryan, Kaden, Chris and Kody at the Iron Creek Trailhead.

IMG_0688

IMG_0691 IMG_0701

IMG_0702

Doesn't this look completely comfortable. There were actually snowbanks by some of the mountain lakes. 

IMG_0708

IMG_0729

Isn't this a beautiful sight. 

IMG_0778

They took along some fishing gear (thanks Gordon) so they had fish for dinner one night. Lots of fun.

2 comments:

Diane Burnett said...

I want to know your secret!!! How are you losing weight?

ManicMandee said...

I can't believe Kennedy is in the middle school now! Crazy stuff.
Congrats on all your weight loss. I'm with "burnetts" how are you doing it?