Friday, September 5, 2008

Am I prepared...

I've had a hard time deciding whether or not to actually post about this because I've mainly used my blog to just update family and friends on what's going on with our family. I usually don't post anything serious and mainly stick to light-hearted family stuff with a few friends thrown in.

I have a friend, who is also in my ward, who found a lump in her neck about a month ago. Her family has been in the ward for about 5 years I think. We became friends through another sister in our ward, Tresa. Tresa and I have been friends since they moved into the ward about 11 years ago. It's an interesting friendship between us. We are all different ages and at different stages in our lives. I am the youngest, with kids that are still fairly young, Ryan and Kennedy and middle school and Carter just starting kindergarten. Tresa is in the middle, with kids ranging from a senior in high school to a third grader. Megan and Kennedy are the same age and are really good friends. My other friend is the oldest of us. She has 12 kids, the oldest are married and have families and the youngest is a junior in high school. We get along pretty well all of the time and can sit and talk for hours.

My friend went to the doctor to get the lump checked out and was told that she had cancer and that they needed to do more tests to figure out what they were going to do. I found out this week after our Labor Day camping excursion that she has Stage IV cancer. It is inoperable and terminal. With chemotherapy they are giving her 6-12 months. She's been very strong about this whole thing. Stronger than I would ever be. I've been able to watch three of her boys over the last five years grow up and they are all great boys. I've met a number of her other kids and they are all wonderful. I took brownies over to them one Sunday night and everyone that was home was gathered around the piano singing and hanging out. It reminded me so much of my family. Not the singing part, just the being able to be together part. I think that's why I am drawn to her so much. Her family reminds me a lot of my own.

So I've been thinking a lot about my own mortality lately. Wondering if I am doing everything I can to be where I want to be if something like this happened to me. Does that make sense? That's about a philosophical as I get. I don't think that she reads my blog, but, I just wanted to let her know that I love her and think that she is a brave woman.

4 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I'm assuming that's Shirley? That is TERRIBLE news!!!!!! If anyone is ready to meet their Maker, it's her. I feel so sad about that though. Talk about a wake up call.

Robyn said...

Hi, Mikki!

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It certainly makes you think about your own mortality. I often struggle with my own goals in life and wonder if I'm being all that I can be. I think the best thing you can do is live each day to the fullest, hug and kiss your kids lots and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.

Jennifer P. said...

I just found out the extent of Shirley's cancer today. It brings back so many memories of my mom's cancer diagnosis---they were so alike, that's why I've always loved Shirley---and I just HATE it. I am starting to hate this life more and more each year I'm alive---and I don't want to get sucked into that pit. I know God is in charge, just not understanding Him so well lately.

It feels kind of good to write about stuff like that and then just throw it out there and see what comes back, huh?!

I loved your camping pics. and Carter in soccer too. I've had a week blog break and it feels good to come back and catch up again.

Wishing you guys all the best. And will just keep praying for Shirley. Nothing is impossible.

Crazy Phillips Momma said...

Mik,
I'm sorry about your friend, but I really appreciate your comments. We all need to evaluate our lives once in awhile to see if we are doing all we can do to help one another along the way, and to make sure that we leave a legacy that our families would be proud of. Love you