Monday, July 14, 2008

Yellowstone

I decided to be brave and take my kids through Yellowstone National Park while we were at my parents. So, Wednesday we took off at about 8 a.m. My mom came with me (Yeah!!) and we brought along my nephew Josh. Ryan was a little bummed because Dyllan couldn't come. He had to work with his dad that day.

It's almost a two hour drive to West Yellowstone, Montana and then we took about 8 hours to drive around the lower loop of the park and then another two hours home.

I had both my small pocket sized digital camera and Chris' nice Canon camera, so I gave Ryan and Kennedy both cameras and told them to go for it. As a result 202 pictures were taken of our drive through Yellowstone. Here they all are ... JK, I'll just post a few, but the kids had a great time taking pictures.

We saw everything we wanted to see except for a bear. My cousin Holly is a librarian in a library in Mammoth on the Northern loop, she told us that she has seen a lot of bears this summers, but us, not a one. Lots of bison, deer, elk and a few coyotes. Would have loved to have seen a bear though. Boo.

Here are some pictures of our long, fun day.

IMG_0157

IMG_0178

IMG_0264

A quick look at the participants, excluding my mother and myself.

And now for some great scenery...

collage

Just some random shots of hot pools and mud pots with a cool mountain and a bison mixed in. The thing about the hot pools and pots is that they definitely smell like sulfur.

collage1

More shots of hot pools and Ryan by the lake. The shot in the lower right corner is a geyser in the lake behind Ryan. I've seen it bubble before, just not while we were there.

collage2

Old Faithful. Need I say more. The kids posed in front of it when it started to settle down. The lodge is behind us and they had a nice cafeteria in it. You can get all sorts of different things to eat, which was nice with four kids and two adults.

collage3

Some close ups of some really deep, blue pools by the lake. And a few of a waterfall towards the end of our trip and a shot away from the waterfall. It's great to see how the trees have started coming back after the fire in 1988. I remember the smoke and ash coming to Teton Valley and going through the park in 1994  and 1997 with Chris and seeing the burnt trees. Definitely much greener now.

collage5

Pictures of the animals we saw. Coyotes (we saw two), bison (saw a lot), a lot of deer and elk and the boys (definitely animals). We also saw a moose near Island Park, but I couldn't slow down fast enough to take pictures of it.

4 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

I was looking at this post with James on my lap and he kept pointing out Ryan and saying "RYAN! THERE'S RYAN!!!". Looks like great fun and so beautiful!

And as long as I'm typing to you, I might as well save myself a phone call--could Ryan possibly babysit Thursday evening? It would be from 5:30-8:30. I'm going to go see Glenn Beck broadcast live at the movie theatre!

Morgan said...

Mikki, that was some serious vacationing. (and blogging I might add. Looks like you had so much fun!

Nichole said...

great pictures! I love the collages. we'll be in our old stomping grounds for Jessicas wedding in a couple weeks. I haven't been to the valley in YEARS! pretty excited~~ 15 year reunions Labor day weekend. In the valley, be there or be square~e mail me for more details...

Kim Allen said...

Mikki! I miss you guys! Looks like a fun time going through Yellowstone. We went there recently too. Looks like everyone is surviving without us!